Monday, June 4, 2007

A second life?

Recently I found a website called "Second Life". It practically offers a life very different from the one we really have, a life that has everything we want to: we can choose our appearance, our cloth, our environment... even our first and last name! A very good way to make a dream come true for many... The Paradise, which is best because it was created by us, and we are the ones whom keep it living and using space in the universe.

Is it? Honestly, I don't think so. It sparked my curiosity and I wanted to enter to that "virtual city", but I just couldn't. I didn't even got to choose my own name, because when I was about to do that, I realized how much I like mine! I love to be Isaura, is a not-so-common name and I like it, not because it is barely used, but because my grandma has it too, and that fact is enough to remember me where I come from. We can't move forward in our lives if we don't know where we come from, who we are and who we want to be. In that order.

I could "choose" the way I wanted to look like, but I found myself looking for a haircut, skin color and clothes the most alike possible to the "real ones". I couldn't imagine a different life, a different me. But many can, many want to. Why?

Sometimes is very difficult to have the courage to live the life that had been given to us. Because it is not a human property, a thing we can use the most "convenient" way, it's a gift, a treasure to keep and use properly. And the first step to do this is to be grateful of the life we have, the face, body, personality, soul, dreams, smiles... everything that could help others to find again the life they lost even though they are still walking, talking, surviving...

The missioner Jim Elliot used to say: "live the fullest". When you are working, do it the best. If you're smiling, smile a lot. If you have to cry, cry until your tears dry, but don't ever waste the time you have, because there is no greater sadness to the God that created us and gave us breath of life to see us bury this precious gift and, at the end of the way, we have to realize that our lives just "passed". I love Frank Sinatra's song "My way" because it says something that I really want to say when my path is almost over. But most of all I want to be sure that, once it finishes, the other life, the real Paradise -not an artificial paradise invented by a man- is prepared for me and with my Master with arms wide open.

No comments: